Welcome to the B.C. Wireless
B.C. Wireless is a non-profit organization dedicated to the research and establishment of community wireless networks in British Columbia, Canada. Started in 2000, B.C. Wireless promotes the creation of independent and community owned, freely accessible communications infrastructure with a specific focus on the use of Wireless technology.
- BC Wireless Ingress, and Mesh, and meetups August 8, 2014
Couple of new updates:
- Join the BC Wireless Ingress – battling it out for control of the Exotic Matter portals discovered by CERN. What is Ingress? It’s time to move.
- We’ve implemented CJDNS support – join the ProjectMeshNet. We need more LocalMesh‘s, and have setup a number of CJDNS Nodes to help facilitate connectivity.
- Looking to plan a Summer meetup – it’s time to talk about Mesh and other network initiatives.
Join us in Social and say Hello!
- Old-gear available for anyone who needs it June 27, 2014
Our storage space has run out for gear used in the past. We’d rather see this stuff go to good use than scrap it:
2x 5.8 GHz 3′ dishes + radiator. ~32 dBi gain. Great condition, Only used a few times by geeks with beer, and the Government of Canada Some old 900 MHz WaveRider gear routed through the BC3 1x 5.8 GHz 18 dBi grid
- If you’re looking for some spare parts – they’re probably in drawers – hit us up with what you’re looking for
PM me or Email [email protected]
- Victoria BC February 26, 2013
The BC Wireless Observatory has logged over 360K networks! BC Wireless affectionados and members have been travelling all over North America and logging their visits using the BC Wireless app for Android.
Our most recent Observatory update includes scans from our very own Capital Regional District, specifically the Saanich Peninsula
- Still growing... May 14, 2012
- Wireless Observatory hits 135K networks April 8, 2012
The British Columbia Wireless Network Observatory has hit 135K WiFi networks! Only a small part of the 2.4GHz WiFi spectrum has been mapped! Download the BC Wireless Android app and help us map British Columbia.
We are working on mapping for Other People’s Network within the Observatory too!. Why? Because how Canada’s spectrum is used is interesting! Help us map BC’s Wireless infrastructures by observing wireless infrastructures we rely on every day. We’ve already started mapping TELUS, Shaw and BC Hydro’s systems. Want to help? Upload to the BC Wireless gallery using your GPS enabled smartphone or camera. Ping us in our IRC channel or Email [email protected] to find out more on how to help.